Monday, November 9, 2009

my new friend

I have lived in Spokane for just over a year now. In 2 weeks I'll have been at my job for a year. And today, I made my very first Spokane friend.

And she's seven.

Okay, so maybe she's not my very first Spokane friend, but she's the first one to invite me over to her house!

It was really quite wonderful.

I don't know what it is, but I always seem to hit it off with kids, elderly, and developmentally disabled. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, (I think they are some of the most beautiful people), but sometimes I wish I could connect better with people my own age. And the job I have now certainly isn't helping. I tend to forget how to have normal adult conversations when I spend all day talking about hermit crabs and poop, and communicating at a 5-year old level.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because of my own insecurities and fear of being known. I feel like I can be myself around those people and they won't judge me. They don't care if my grammar is bad, or if my shoes don't match my clothes, or whether or not I have all my ducks in a row. I guess I feel safe.

So now all I need to do is get over myself and not care so much about what others think. Easy, right? Then I'll make some grown up friends. And it probably wouldn't hurt if I read some books with big words and tried to expand my vocabulary...

1 comment:

bethany said...

Oh, dear, dear Andrea. Of all people I know who should NOT be worried about being known or disliked by their peers it is you! Although I completely understand your insecurities, as I find myself sharing some of the same, please know that any person elderly, young, disabled or very much the same age and intellect as you, would be SO very lucky to have you as a friend. So get out there and make some pals, girlie, because you have so much to offer in the friendship realm! :)

By the way, thanks so much for the e-mail...I've been meaning to respond...eek...I'm slacking a little. I promise to reply later today!
:)