Wednesday, July 16, 2008

weird

Today at work, someone told me I was weird. That wasn't the first time in my life, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

When I was 15 and only after a couple of months of working at McDonald's, I was called a dork. Her name was Bailey and she was always so nice to me. I don't remember the exact action or words that prompted her to call me that, but I remember being slightly shocked and a little hurt. But all I could say was, "I know."

But today, when Jerad called me weird, I wasn't hurt. I was a little startled by his abruptness. Being that I work at a power company, I get quite a few calls from people complaining about their high bills, and most of the time it is due to high consumption and slightly increased rates. I was talking to him about how power is a convenience and people have lived thousands of years without it, and if we really can't afford electricity, then we shouldn't use it. I then voiced how I would love to live a life not dependent of electricity and convenience things.

And that's when he said it. "You're weird." He could have said, "I don't think I would do that", or "Wow, that's crazy" or even a simple "oh." But instead he had to personally address me and who I am.

And you know what I said when he called me weird? I said, "I know." Same response that I gave 7 years ago. but this time, I really meant it. I am weird. I hope I'm weird. I don't want to have the same ambitions and goals in life that other people do. I pray that God can continue to work in my life so that when I meet people, they realize that I'm a little odd.

That's all.

1 comment:

bethany said...

But isn't that the way people tend to be these days?

Instead of first addressing yourself, and surveying whether it is you that is strange/weird/quirky, you always assume it is the other. Someone else is strange. I do it incessantly.

Its a lot easier to feel safe in your mind assuming that people who have differing opinions are the oddballs...and not you the one who is unwilling to see from another perspective.

Does that make any sense?

Maybe I'm "weird" :)