Monday, June 30, 2008

so much to say

It's been a busy last week or two and I haven't been able to write about half the things that I've wanted to. I even tried out a new recipe, took pictures, loved it, but blogging has dropped to the bottom of my priority list.

I will do a new recipe this week though. I'm pretty excited about it.

First off, the coolest thing that happened last week is I ran my first race in a long time. I'm trying to get in good enough shape to run a half marathon August 9. To call it training would be a huge overstatement.

It was a 10K (6.2mi) run in the city I live in. I decided the week before that I was going to do it, so I didn't have a lot of time to get my butt in gear. I had been 2-3mi runs consistently, and one just over 4 miles. So I decided to plan my long run for Tuesday. And that, never happened. So then I was going to do a long one on Thursday. That, also didn't happen. Both days I could barely make it past 3 miles. In the back of my head I'm wondering how in the world I would be able to pull off a 6.2mi run on Saturday.

Nevertheless, Saturday morning rolls around, I crawl out of bed at 6:30, not leaving myself enough time to shave my legs. On go the capri sweatpants in the middle of summer...
I drive over to the race, register, go to the bathroom, go back to my car to drop off my purse, go to the bathroom again, and then get ready to run .

And you know what?

I made it.

I had expected myself to have to walk a mile or so, but I didn't. I trudged along and made it through for an outstanding time of 1:04:30...not so outstanding, but I don't even care. It was awesome.

My only regret is that my husband couldn't run it with me.

No comments: