Sunday, March 15, 2009

what I do

I work as a direct support professional for adolescents who have developmental disabilities. The children live in a group home setting and get 24 hour care. I can't go into a lot of detail because of confidentiality laws, but let's just say when the kids are having a good day, it's really good. Like I wonder how I could actually be getting paid for watching movies and going to parades. But when the days are bad, they're really bad. Like I might just spend 2 hours on the ground blocking hits, kicks, bites, hair pulls, pinches, and scratches.

And I love it. There's never a dull day. 

This week was a little crazy though. I found out what happens when a staff gets fired, but the children still need support. 

Overtime. 

Last night I recorded 58.5 hours on my time sheet for last week. It felt really good. This week I'm working a little less - 57 hours - but by next week I will be hopefully back to my regular 40 hour weeks. 

I tend to feel like since I worked a lot, I don't need to do anything else. And therefore nothing else (running, cooking, cleaning, reading....) gets done. For example, It's 12:39 PM, I've been up since 9:00, and I'm still sitting in my PJs even though I have to leave for work in an hour. And my one goal I set for myself this morning was to run and I totally didn't do it. So pathetic.

So there you have it. I hope your day is much, much more productive than mine. And sunshiny.  

2 comments:

bethany said...

Cool-I had no clue what you were up to out there! Andrea, you're such a compassionate person...bet a million bucks you rock at your job :)

Miss you!

Danielle Ryan said...

Yay, I finally get to hear what you're doing these days at work. =) You sound like a superhero. And I totally think you deserve to lounge in your PJs a bit.