Tuesday, July 7, 2009

more questions

"May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you." ~ 1 Thessalonians 3:12

Lately when I've been reading scripture things that I've never in my life thought to question have been popping out at me. All of a sudden, nothing seems simple anymore. I find myself often kind of frustrated because I'm struggling to understand things that seem so basic. Concepts I thought I mastered in 2nd grade... 

I read that passage in 1 Thessalonians last night and I couldn't help but ask, what does it means to love? How did God intend us to love our brothers and sisters in Christ? What does it look like to love everyone? It's just not black and white to me. 

So I am asking you. What is love? How do you interpret this? How do you differentiate between what our society says love is, and what God says love is? 

I would really appreciate your thoughts! What else is the body for, if not to work together to try and seek after God and understand what he desires from us.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Love is tricky, it's easy to love the beautiful, nice, easy people. It gets uncomfortable when the people are mean, ugly, dirty, needy. That's not in the movies. It's hard for me not to judge certain people right away, rather than love unconditionally.

This doesn't exactly apply, but I found this quote and wanted to share:
It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you can not go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad. -C.S. Lewis

Becca said...

Another thing, I think the Spirit will make our love grow and increase in crazy ways, this is the beauty of faith in our amazing God. The Holy Spirit is powerful, and we can never really wrap our heads around it, but we don't need to, but the fact that the love grows toward being unconditional is beautiful.

Andrea Jean said...

I love the quote. And you are totally right about the Holy Spirit. One thing I need to learn to do is let go and let God work rather than analyze everything to bits and 'figure everything out'.