Saturday, July 25, 2009

the short and fast road to burnout

I am a planner. And when I plan things, I usually think that I have more time than I do. Back when I was in college (instantly feeling old...) I would make to-do lists with probably 20 items to complete in like 5 hours. Of course I would never really finish more than 6 things, but while making the list, I felt like 5 hours was an eternity.

The difference between that situation, and the one I currently find myself in, is that while making those t0-do lists, I was completely aware of my time frame. I knew I had just 5 hours.

I'm going to do my best to explain this situation. It's a little confusing, so try to stay with me...
Today is July 25.
On August 5, I leave for Wisconsin... (YAY)
On August 7, I am in my dear friend, Jenny's, wedding...(double YAY!)
And I'm not returning for 2 weeks...(triple YAY!)

Because of the nature of my work, it's really stressful when someone takes vacation. So my boss had to schedule me the three days before I leave (sunday-aug. 2, monday-aug.3, tuesday-aug.4). And in those three days, I am scheduled 40 hours. And I'm cool with that. Granted I won't be able to do anything the days before I leave since I'm scheduled from 6AM-10PM, but that just means I have to be on top of things.

And then TJ and I had planned a camping trip with Becca and Sam for the last weekend in July. Which is this weekend (Friday-Sunday). We had to shift the dates to Saturday-Monday, because last minute TJ's boss required him to work Saturday morning. Now I typically work Monday-Friday with weekends off, but one of my coworkers was able to switch shifts, so I have Monday off, but now I have to work Saturday.

So earlier this week, when I was switching shifts and thinking about my schedule, I thought I had 3 weeks until I left. So in my head, I was thinking that I would work this week, Tuesday-Saturday, have Sunday off like usual, go into my Monday-Friday work week, have Saturday off, and then work my 40 hours, Sunday-Tuesday, and leave on Wednesday.

Obviously I was wrong. Since I only leave in 2 weeks (make that 11 days) my schedule looks something like this.
Camping: Saturday-Monday
Working: Tuesday-Tuesday. 80 hours in 8 days.
Leaving: Wednesday.
So I have a bazillion things to try and squeeze in before leaving -alterations for dress, hair cut, packing - and one less week to do it than I had thought.

I will be SO ready for vacation... =)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That was really confusing (thanks for the list though) I bet you'll be very happy to be here and not have to worry about your schedule:)P.S. I do the same "list-making".

Andrea Jean said...

yeah...super confusing. And you are right. I will be very happy to be back in Wisconsin.