Friday, June 13, 2008

only 5....

Today a coworker asked me what bands I would pick if I could only listen to 5 for the rest of my life.

I know it's one of those stupid scenarios that will never actually happen and a million people have been asked this before, but nobody has asked me. So I've never really thought about it. So I decided to think about it.

Being that I am a follower of Christ, I figured I should have some 'Christian' music in there...and that's when it became difficult. There isn't really a lot of contemporary Christian music that I like. At all. Sometimes I feel like that means there's something wrong with me. I have friends who are so in love with God that can listen to David Crowder Band, Avalon, Steven Curtis Chapman,...etc. for days, and I can't listen to that music for more than a few songs before I want smother myself with my pillow...okay, that was a little exaggeration.

So I decided tonight that I would come up with my top 5 Christian bands, to make myself feel better, and then give you my real list of 5 bands for the rest of my life thing.

CHRISTIAN:
1. Madison Greene: Although no longer together, I still find myself listening to their music more often than any other of my cd's. It's folksy, acoustic music with African undertones and sweet percussion and vocals.

2. Enter the Worship Circle: They have come out with some awesome worship music that isn't self-focused ("You are worthy of MY praise...yadayada...) and also has sweet percussion and vocals.

3. GLAD: Totally heartfelt Capella group that I promise you, your mom's will love. And mine did, and since my mom had a pretty big influence on my life, I like them too. It wouldn't be Easter without Glad.

4. Psalters: I only own one of their cd's but I totally support their efforts to break away from the world and be separate. Their music has been influenced by middle eastern culture and a few of the members of madison greene have joined this nomadic group.

5. Jars of Clay: This was a hard one to be honest, I really ran out of favorites at 3, and I really had to dig deep for this one. The reason I picked Jars of Clay, is because they were one of the first Christian groups that I really did like, and sometimes, I don't mind a good Jars of Clay song.

NOW....SECULAR TOP 5

1. Rosie Thomas
2. Jim Brickman
3. Dave Matthews Band
4. Rebecca Loebe
5. Joshua Radin

I had to try and cover my grounds, but luckily for me, I'm pretty particular about what kind of music I listen to.

Whew, this was a long one!

1 comment:

bethany said...

I love GLAD, too. :) We always listen to the GLAD Christmas album which is, sadly, on CD. When I was younger is was always on cassette...1000X better.