Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Strawberry Pie

I guess I was in a pie baking mood this week.

Originally I wanted to pick up some rhubarb at the Farmer's Market, but by the time I made it there on my lunch break, most of the vendors were gone or out of rhubarb.

BUT
There were strawberries.
I decided to make a strawberry dessert, and nothing sounded better than strawberry pie.



Here's the recipe:
DOUBLE CRUST:
2 1/4 c. All purpose flour

3/4 t. salt

3/4 c. shortening

8-10 T cold water



1. Mix flour and salt

2. Cut in shortening with pastry blender

3. Add 1 T. water at a time, pushing the moistened dough to the side of the bowl after each T until all of the dough is moistened.

4. Split the dough into two halves

5. Roll out dough into 12 inch circles












FILLING:

8 c. fresh strawberries (I only had about 5...)

1 1/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. All purpose flour

dash of cinnamon

dash of nutmeg

(preheat oven to 375

1. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg

2. Add and evenly coat strawberries

3. Pour on top of bottom crust layer

4. Place other crust on top, folding over the edges and poke a few holes in the top (I chose to do a lattice)

5. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil

6. Bake in oven for 30 minutes

7. Remove foil, bake in oven for another 15-20 minutes






TADA! You have delicious baked strawberry pie!









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someday I will aspire to be a Baking Vixen like you.
Thanks for adding my blog, Buzz Worthy Baby Names, Buzz Worthy Baby names to your Frequent list.

-Inventing Matilda

Anonymous said...

Oops, I said Buzz Worthy Baby Names twice...

bethany said...

Mmmm. Delish.

That Chick Over There said...

*drools*