Tuesday, April 7, 2009

fleeting happiness

"God is not after our happiness, He's after our joy." - Matt Chandler

When I woke up this morning, I felt happy. I was anticipating how I was going to spend my day off, planning on a nice long run, busting out the new sewing machine, and maybe even making dinner tonight...maybe. The day was already gorgeous, barely a cloud in the sky, and I just felt happy.

Then I was getting ready to go for my run and my phone rang. Guess who it was.

My boss.

Here's the conversation that took place

Boss: "Andrea, Billy just hurt his foot today and he can't come in to work his shift tonight. He's scheduled with Vince, who isn't cleared yet, and so we need another staff who is cleared to come into work. "
*
(the names of the staff were changed, and not being cleared means that a staff's background check has not gone through and therefore, is required to work with a cleared staff) 

Me: "uhhh...can I think about it for a little bit? I did have some plans today and things that I was hoping to get done. Can I call you back in like an hour"

Boss: "Well, I don't want to be mean but you are my first call and I would like to know whether or not you can work it so I can keep calling around."

Me: "Can you call other people first? If nobody can work it I suppose I can do it."

Boss: "There really aren't that many options. There are only 2 other cleared staff besides you that aren't working today and Jenny probably has day care issues."

Me: "Ok, well if you could try calling them and then I'll call you back soon."

Boss: "That's fine"

It was amazing to me to see how fast my mood could change. I went from smiling to crying within a matter of minutes. (I really did cry...) And it didn't take much. It wasn't like something tragic happened. My boss just asked me to work. That was it. 

I guess the point I am trying to make is that if I thought God was coming to make me happy, I would be daily disappointed and frustrated with God. God is after my joy, which can be sustained through sadness and grief. And working overtime.

Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." 

1 comment:

Becca said...

It's too funny that you posted this. I was kinda having the same thoughts lately. May we be filled with joy all the time!